Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

The big genealogy news this week is the release of the 1940 US Census on April 2nd. FamilySearch is heading "the 1940 US Census Community Project". In a meeting this morning, we were told that the project is moving forward at an unprecedented rate.
(The following is part of an announcement from FamilySearch.org.)

The 1940 U.S. Census Is Now Being Indexed!
4 April 2012

The 1940 U.S. Census is here and the 1940 US Census Community Project has kicked off to a great start! The excitement and enthusiasm for this project is far greater than anything previously seen in the six years that FamilySearch indexing has been available. Online volunteers completed the indexing for the state of Delaware in the first 24 hours. They are now indexing Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Virginia!

Yesterday I indexed two batches from Colorado, and today I indexed a batch from Kansas. Each batch is a page with 40 names, and I probably averaged 40 minutes per batch. If you would like to help, go to http://the1940census.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my side of the border, even bigger news is that the 1921 Canada Census should be released next year, since the Canadian 92-year privacy law will allow it.
(In the USA, the privacy law is for only 72 years where the federal census is concerned.)
My grandfather Buchanan's family will probably not be in this census, as they were living in Tacoma, Washington, where Grandma died in 1923. I could not find them in the 1920 US Census, but I did find them in a city directory.


Tacoma Washington 1921 City Directory, page 202:

BUCHANAN WM A (Elizabeth) trkmn h 1814-1/2 S Tacoma Street. [From this I believe he was employed as a trackman by the Tacoma Street Railway at the time. George worked cleaning streetcars, probably about this same time.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home