Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, February 10, 2012

An Important 50th Anniversary
This posting is very personal. If you find it too personal, I will not be offended if you stop reading it. No, this is not my wedding anniversary! That should be coming up in a few more years. Fifty years ago I made a life-changing decision. After a few months of attending church and being taught by the missionaries, I decided to be baptized by immersion and become a follower of Jesus Christ. This happened on the 10th of February, 1962. This led me to make many changes that made me a better person. It also led me to do things I would probably not have done otherwise. Two and a half years later, I was called to serve as a missionary in the French East Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. God gave me many wonderous experiences, and I learned to love the French and Swiss people.

After my mission I met Judy Kinney. We started dating and we were married on the 23rd of March 1968. Actually we were married twice that day, with a civil ceremony in Raymond, Alberta and a temple ceremony in Cardston. My faith has played a big role in my marriage and family life.

I also felt encouraged to pursue an education. Suddenly my knowledge of French from my mission was a great blessing, as I decided to complete a Bachelor of Education with a major in French. I could see my Saviour's hand in my life, as if the pieces of a puzzle were fitting together. I think God has a plan for each of us. We get to decide whether to accept his plan or not.

I have tried to follow his plan, but I am sure I have often fallen short of what I could be. He provided me with a career in distance education and computers. After retirement, my interest in computers and family history made an online family history mission a comfortable choice, and I am now on my second support mission. People phone Salt Lake City for help with family history, and if I am on shift, my telephone rings. What could be better than that? I can serve from home! I am also serving in a Family History Center. Did I mention that I have a passion for family history? If you know me, you will be well aware of it.

Judy and I are proud parents and grandparents. Families are important. We are each part of a family, and all of us belong to God's family. He is our father. Our own family can be eternal. Family ties can be a strong force for good in the lives of people of all ages. May they always be a blessing to your family and to mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home